PEOPLE POWER; INFLUENCE IN HUMAN RELATIONS (PART TWO)


A story was once told of a safety coordinator at an engineering firm employed to ensure that employees wore their protective hats on the field. His initial approach was to make them comply by force; authoritatively citing company’s regulations.  The result? All he got was a sullen, temporary acceptance. No sooner had he left than the workers removed the hats.
He however changed his approach and got a better result. This perhaps reminds of the statement of Thomas Edison that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result.
“Methods must change for results to change.”
Ishola Emmanuel
Well what did our safety coordinator friend do? He asked some of the workers who wore their hats whether the hats were uncomfortable and oversize and then reminding them in a pleasant tone of voice that the hat was for their safety and protection from injury. The result was an increased compliance by the workers with no emotional resentment.
“There is a baby inside every adult that seeks to be appreciated”
Ishola Emmanuel
It is much better to change yourself and your perspective than to try changing the other person. As Confucius rightly said, “Don’t complain about the snow on your neighbour’s roof when your own doorstep is unclean.”
Charles Schwab was chosen by Andrew Carnegie to be Head of the United States Steel Company in 1921 at 38 years old. By virtue of this appointment, Charles Schwab became one of the first people in American business to be paid an annual salary of over a million dollars. What was the secret of his success? It was the ability to deal with people. Well, let us hear from the horse’s mouth. He once said:
“I consider my ability to arouse enthusiasm among my people the greatest asset I possess and the way to develop the best in a person is by appreciation and encouragement… I never criticize anyone. I believe in given a person incentive to work. So I am anxious to praise, but I loath to find fault. If I like anything, I am hearty in my approbation and lavish in my praise.”




He continued, “In my wide association with life, meeting with many and great people in various parts of the world, I have yet to find the person, however great or exalted their station, who did not do better work under a spirit of approval than they would under a spirit of criticism.
Most people find it difficult to follow this golden advice. Instead, they are like the complaining character in the old couplet that says:
“Once I did bad and that I heard ever,
Twice I did good, but that I heard never.”
Sadly, the value of appreciation is scarce in our world. We neglect to praise our children for bringing home a good report card and give parental approval for other victories, we neglect to extol wives for preparing an excellent meal for their husbands yet we are quick to find faults at the slightest opportunity.
Lack of appreciation may just be the reason for run-away husbands and wives. Never take your spouse, children or family members for granted that you fail to appreciate them. Appreciation is as important as food to people. Appreciation ought to be the legal tender that all human souls enjoy.
Give cooperation instead of competition. Compliments instead of complaints. Remember the words of Abraham Lincoln, “Everybody likes a compliment.” Avoid criticism at all costs for honest appreciation and
encouragement gets result where criticism and ridicule fades. Benjamin Franklin, without a doubt, is one of the most successful Americans in history. He was so diplomatic that he was made an American ambassador to France. He attributes his success to this:

“I will speak ill of no man… and speak the good I know of everybody. Anybody can very easily resort to criticism, condemnation and complaints but it takes self-control and character to be understanding and forgiving. To know all is to forgive all. God himself has no intention to judge man –his creature until the end of a man’s days. Why then should you and I?

When you leave a friendly trail little sparks of gratitude on your daily trips, you will realize that they set small flames of friendship that will be rose beacons on your next visit.
“I shall pass this way but once; any good therefore that I can do or any kindness that I can show to any human being, let me do it now. Let me  notdefer nor neglect it for I shall never pass this way again.”
-Unknown

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIPS ON CROSS-EXAMINATION

GOAL SETTING AND GO GETTING; THE EAGLE EXAMPLE (PART FOUR)

WHERE YOU ARE IS NOT WHO YOU ARE